Tuesday, July 14, 2009

England

(Dover Harbor This Morning)

I arrived in England Monday July 12th. I had a short swim in the late afternoon in a near by pool just to loosen up.

Tuesday July 13th I had my first swim in the famous Dover Harbour. When I first showed up it was a surreal feeling and i couldn't believe I was their, after all my training it finally felt like it was time for my swim and all my hard training to come together. I showed up at the spot where channel swimmers normal meet on the weekend. I only expected to see a few people around but
their was around 20 swimmers their all getting their training in. It was a great scene because it really gives you a feeling of how divers channel swimming really is. Their where men and women of all different ages, sizes, and ethnicity's. I could here people talking in all different languages. When I was getting I saw other swimmers who have done multiple crossing's and where training other swimmer who were getting ready for their own swims in the next few weeks. When I was in the water I could see the big ferry's and cruse boats coming in and out of the harbor making waves when they went by. Dover harbor is close to 4 times the size of Aquatic Park where i train in San Francisco. Everyone on the beach was smiling, laughing and enjoying the sun and perfect training day.

Wednesday the 14th I am meeting my pilot to give him the final payment for my swim and try to plan my swim. I will put another post up tomorrow with details on the plan for my swim.

Their was an artical in the San Mateo Times about my Channel swim. The link to read the artical is http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_12817196?source=email&nclick_check=1

2 comments:

mb said...

It's great to see your progress Nick. Keep up the great work and know you have many fans back at home cheering you on. Swim strong, Mrs. Beck

Unknown said...

Nicholas,

I'm Brian Stites, a sports producer at KPIX in San Francisco. Contact me when you get back from the UK so we can talk about your experience. My email: bstites@kpix.cbs.com

Good luck!